Ever-flaming star

Essenya na Elenaria Cuthalion. Quettanya quenya. Greetings. I am lone elf in a mortal world, searching for my own Grey Havens. On a lonely isle I live, just outside a city girded by walls high and mighty, and in the forests I run, by the sea I walk, in the wind I read the change of seasons. This... could be a diary. A diary from my 3000-and-some years.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Imladris, Gotland, Sweden

Writing mainly for those that are not directly connected to my life. Trying to stay free without breaking important bonds. Will do close to anything for a chance to travel, and never ever quits dreaming.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Last rays of sunlight

In the eveningtime, I felt compelled to take a walk. Because it was some distance off, the forest, I decided on a steed to carry me there, and bade it wait for me until I was ready to return again.

I Anar was nearing the western rim, as I walked over the bedrock, and in among the trees. Instantly, a calm came over me, such a one that I have now been badly in need of for some time. My steps slowed, and the light weight of my cloak troubled me not. I noted a small path, but stepped over it, and further inwards, finally finding a place where slanting rays of sunshine warmed the grassy ground. How can one resist such an invitation? For long I rested there, idly carving on a dead branch. When shadows at last reached me, once more, I walked. To the south, it seems, there must be some small road, and I did not venture there - who knows what humans here do, if they find one such as I?

Instead, I turned rather more northwards, eventually finding an enormous clearing - caused by the human hand, no doubt. Without much hurry I wound my way across, eventually coming to a rest, again, this time on a fallen tree. I greeted i Anar and then let my thoughts wander where they wished. Naturally, they turned to recent events and friends, some lost, others found. A profound sadness came over me then, and I grew restless. For a while I wandered, aimlessly, listening to the sounds of the forest. I chanced upon a small hut, no doubt built my humans, where traces told me the last visitors had left not long before me. It seemed a sturdy enough place, with a small hearth and some stools, but hardly a place for sleeping. Pains had been taken to mask it, but such a dense spot is easily discovered for one such as I. Who uses the hut, I wonder, and for what purpose? The beginning of the path for entering it, was rather cleverly chosen, with bedrock shining through the soft if not very lush ground.

I followed a path for a while, the first one I found, but in the other direction. Eventually, I tired, and with easy steps lept back toward the clearing. However, I soon found my feet turned me into the forest again, and there I found a tree, under whose low-spread arms I found a resting place.

Who knows how long I rested, letting my thoughts drift where they would?

Around me, the trees stood in calm silence, the birds twittered their last for the day, the wind disappeared. When at last I rose, it was darker. With sure steps, I retraced my way over the clearing, careful not to be seen, and made my way back again, finding the whitened remains of a hare's head, the cheeks in another location entirely. A stone invited me to a last moment of calm, and then I greeted my steed and carefully, in the quickly darkening woods, made my way homeward again. I was away for the longest time, it seems.

The stars are out, and for a while I sat in silent thought on Elendil, our clearest, most beloved star. ...and one in the firmament, or so say the Silmarillion, on the last of the three Silmarils. It is a comfort, to see it there, to know that the ship, ever-vigilant, sails over the sky, so that I can see him, every night. I Isil rises late, this night, and is near darkest. So turn my thoughts darker again, too, as the walls surround me, and not the trees. Alone in this place of humans, who can blame me?

1 Comments:

Blogger Kostas2112 said...

Simply Beautiful...:)

Friday, September 07, 2007 8:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home